There are so many things that can distract us from working, studying, and even doing simple chores. Nowadays, actually staying focus is a lot of effort. In fact, researchers claimed that an average centennial’s length of being focused is comparable to that of a gold fish.
But what really distracts us from finishing or starting our works? In my opinion, smartphones are the biggest distraction ever. Other small distraction can be overlook but the tempting ringing and flashes of our smartphone is just so hard to ignore, you feel me?
Anyway, in this post, I’m going to share some ways that you can do to stay focused and actually finish what you need to do.
Tips in staying focus:
- Put those smartphones away – First and foremost, hide your phone. As I’ve mentioned in my introduction, smartphones are the biggest hindrance in staying focused. So I suggest that you either turn it off, put in silent mode, airplane mode, or place it somewhere out of reach like the other end of the room.
- Have a workplace – Make a specific place around your room or your house that is dedicated in working or studying. That way, your brain can associate that place as working and not for other things. This will help you feel productive in the long run.
- Remove unnecessary things in your workplace – Make sure that your workplace has a very limited distraction. Remove everything that does not have anything to do with the subject that you’re studying or from your work.
- Make a task checklist – Making a checklist will help you prioritize what work or subject is more important than the other. It can also help you manage your time and create a perfect length of time allocated in studying several subjects.
- Minimize the noise – Some people find it difficult to study when they hear a lot of noise in the background. So I suggest that you look for some relaxing noise that can overpower any noise that may distract you. Others find playing instrumental music helpful. Or if you want, you may also play some rain sounds or other sounds from nature.
- Follow the Pomodoro method – Pomodoro method is a technique to balance work and rest. This method suggested that work time should be around 25 minutes and you should take a break for about 5 minutes after.
Of course, I cannot guarantee that this will work for everyone. However, these tips will certainly help in keeping your focus for the time being.